Schoolchildren have helped create a wildflower art exhibition at Wirral Country Park to celebrate the park’s 50th anniversary.
The project saw Wirral’s Eco-Schools team and local artist Ling Warlow team up with children from 25 schools and community groups across Wirral to create hundreds of paper wildflowers during Wildflower Warrior workshops. The programme also educated young people about why wildflowers are important to the environment.
As a result of their creative floral endeavours, everything from life-like delicate hedgerow flowers, to giant nettles and large scale replicas of foxgloves can be found at the park throughout June.
Cllr Liz Grey, Chair of Wirral Council’s Environment, Climate Emergency and Transport Committee, said, “This is an exciting project and one which chimes completely with our aim of encouraging more local wildflowers, which are essential for pollinators, to develop across the borough.
“It is fitting that the paper flowers being crafted by local young people will be on display at Wirral Country Park as that park is home to some of the council’s most significant conservation work.
“It was only last year that the efforts of park staff and local volunteers led to the return of a very rare species of wildflower, the Dyer’s Greenwood, and the park has also been bestowed with a ‘Bees’ Needs Award’ for their work in supporting the development of pollinators.”
The project will culminate in a month long exhibition, The Paper Meadow, at Thurstaston Visitors Centre and Birkenhead Park Gallery.
Participating schools were:
- Well Lane Primary School, Tranmere
- Wirral Hospitals’ School, JPC, Birkenhead
- Cathcart Street Primary, Birkenhead
- Woodlands Primary, Birkenhead
- Church Drive Primary School, Port Sunlight
- Hoylake Holy Trinity C of E Primary School
- Barnston Primary School, Heswall
- Woodchurch High School
- Christ Church CE Primary, Birkenhead
- Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School, Moreton
- Mersey Park Primary School, Tranmere
- St Mary’s Catholic College, Wallasey
- Gayton Primary School, Heswall
- Pensby High School
- The Oldershaw School, Wallasey
- Christ Church C of E Aided Primary School, Moreton
- St George’s Primary School, Wallasey
- Park Primary School, Wallasey
- Clare Mount Specialist Sports College, Moreton
- Our Lady and St Edward’s Catholic Primary School, Birkenhead
- Castleway Primary School, Moreton
- Brookhurst Primary School, Bromborough
- Ladymount Catholic Primary School, Pensby