Wallasey and District Sunday Football League round-up, 4 February 2024

One O’Clock Gun eased through to the last four of the Wirral DFA Amateur Cup when disposing of Upton Willows at windswept Lingham Park.

Two first-half goals from Jamie Edwards and a Nathan Johnston rocket sealed an excellent 2-0 victory to take them into the last four of the competition.

In the Capitol Cup second round, Wallasey Wanderers went nap against a spirited Park Royal when winning 5-1 thanks to goals from Lee Dermody, Macauley Lathom, Matty Madden, Ollie Lowe, and Owen Pulford. Jamie Woods bagged the lone reply.

AFC Shore Villa disposed of Shore Villa Athletic in an end-to-end tussle as James Outram and Jacob Sampson scored in an even encounter to go through to the last eight. Finnigan FC also progressed when defeating Oldershaw FC 2-0 with goals from Jon Pomphrett and Adam Walker in a battling performance.

Easing through to the last eight were FC Greasby as they overcame a hard-working Wallasey Wolves 6-1, due to the finishing of Lewis Seymour with a brace, and singles from Corey Casey, James Oakes, Kieran Davies, and Paddy Killen.

A hard-fought encounter between Trident and Farmers Arms resulted in a 2-1 success for Farmers with goals from Danny Andrew and Danny Lewis. The Lone scorer for Trident was Jake Adams.

The top two teams from the Second Division produced a great cup game and saw Shore Villa beat Barnston FC 3-1 to progress in the cup, as Ben Windle bagged a brace and Connor Hodson a single in a good game.

The only game in the MES Ltd First Division resulted in a 5-2 victory for PLCCFC over West Kirby Athletic to remain in third place in the table. Scores were level at the break at 2-2, but the cricketers netted three more in the second half to take the spoils. On target for PLCC were Charlie Clewlow, Luca Murtagh, Jack Jones, Ciaran Gregory, and Danny Hardman, with Harry Davies and Owen Ainscough firing the responses.

Dave ‘Hank’ Hanlon

The funeral of Wirral referee Dave ‘Hank’ Hanlon took place at Landican cemetery on Wednesday, 31 January, and was attended by many family and friends plus members of leagues and teams that Dave was associated with during his long service in the black uniform.

Members of the Wirral Referees Association, members of teams past and present, committee of the Birkenhead SFL, and league management committee members of the Wallasey & District SFL paid their respects to Dave who served all of them throughout his 50 years as a match official. Dave would never let you down and attended all scheduled fixtures – no matter what the weather was like.

Tributes were also provided by Tranmere Rovers, with glowing praise for Dave for all his support and this was echoed by the Wallasey & District SFL. Along with condolences from Wirral Scorpions JFC, Manor JFC, Greenleas JFC, Glenavon JFC, Nelson JFC, and Oxton Ladies.

To see how many people attended the funeral was testament to the dedication provided by Dave to the local teams and leagues.

Why not follow Birkenhead News on Facebook, Twitterand Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to news@birkenhead.news