Wallasey and District Sunday Football League round-up, 18 February 2024

The One O’Clock Gun did themselves and the league proud when defeating a Vauxhalls U21 team in the Wirral DFA Amateur Cup semi final with an assured performance.

First-half goals from Billy Rainbow with a penalty, and captain Nathan Johnston gave them a 2-0 lead. The second half was also well controlled by the Gun, but Vauxhalls fought back and claimed a goal after the hour, but a great headed goal by Owen McMahon before the 90-minute mark secured the 3-1 victory. Congratulations to all the squad and management for reaching yet another final.

Following an evenly fought contest, Vineyard progressed in the First Division Cup after beating Wallasey Wanderers in a penalty shoot-out 4-3. This was after a thrilling 1-1 encounter that saw Callum Morrison score for Vineyard and Matty Madden responded for Wanderers but nerves were required in the second round spot-kick contest.

The only fixture in the MES Ltd First Division resulted in a 4-1 success for Oldershaw FC against AFC Shore Villa as Adam Chadwick, Curtis Ledsom-Robinson, Darren Parry, and Dale Crawford found the net, with Rob Davies hitting the only reply.

The leaders of the Moreton Alarms Supplies Second Division maintained their 100% record as Shore Villa overcame the spirited Park Royal 8-0. Bagging a hat-trick was Tom Oliver, with Connor Hodson adding a double, and Kevin Walker, Mark Houston, and Jay Thomas all netting singles in a great team display.

The Second Division Cup second round fixture between Barnston FC and New Brighton Town saw the latter progress with a 2-1 victory thanks to a double strike from Ellis Lamb, but in an even affair, Jack Nelson scored for Barnston as both teams strove for dominance.

All other scheduled fixtures were postponed due to waterlogged pitches and will now be rearranged at a later date.

There was only one fixture played last week, due to the council closing all grass pitches and this was played on the 4G pitch at Pensby High School. This allowed the First Division Cup first round fixture to take place and resulted in a 5-1 success for PLCCFC versus Oldershaw FC, as Charlie Clewlow, Matty Beaman, Corey Mountford, Danny Hardman, and an own goal secured victory. Dale Crawford bagged the consolation effort in this hard-fought encounter.

Why not follow Birkenhead News on Facebook, Twitterand Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to news@birkenhead.news