Two dogs dead after eating ‘unknown white substance’

Merseyside Police has launched an investigation after an unknown white substance was found in a park area close to Childwall Valley Road.

Police received a report from a veterinary surgery at around 2pm that a number of dogs had been brought to the surgery after falling ill after ingesting the substance.

Two of the dogs later died, one is seriously ill, and a fourth one continues to be treated.

CCTV, house-to-house and witness enquiries are being carried out in the local area and tests are being carried out to establish what the substance is.

The area is currently cordoned off and pedestrians are advised to avoid the area while the incident is being dealt with.

Chief Superintendent Jonathan Davies said, “Whilst the incident is obviously of concern I want the public to be reassured that the matter is being dealt with and is under control.

“We would advise people to avoid the area as we seek to establish what the substance is and how it got there.

“Anyone who believes they were in the area and came into direct contact with the substance is advised to seek medical assistance if they believe they have suffered any ill effects.

“We would always advise anyone who comes across an unknown substance to not touch it but to report it to police.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Merseyside Police social media desk on Twitter @MerPolCC or Facebook ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre’ quoting log 454 of 22 January. 

You can also call or contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Image: GOOGLE

Why not follow birkenhead.news on Facebook, Twitter, and Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to news@birkenhead.news