Tranmere thrash league leaders Stockport

Tranmere hosted top-of-the-table Stockport County on Saturday afternoon in their latest game of the League 2 season.

Ahead of the game, Nigel Adkins said, “League leaders, big squad of players, strong squad of players. Big test for us, but that’s what you want. We believe that we can beat anybody on any given day. Over a period of time, you’ll find out about that, but on any given day, we believe we can beat anybody. 

“We’ve got to have that belief; we’ve seen that when we go behind, we can come back and win. We can go away from home and can go and win. We’ve played good teams in this division, and we’ve gone and won. However, massively respectful of the opposition we’re going to play. 

“We know that they’re going to have massive threats. They’re at the top of the league for a reason. We’ve got to regroup again. Very disappointing that we’ve lost the two games this week… learn the lessons and get ready for the next one. It’s that process of going into the next game full of energy, full of vigour, full of belief, knowing it’s going to be a big crowd, knowing that you’re going to represent Tranmere Rovers.” 

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers v Stockport County

Tranmere Rovers 4v0 Stockport County
Davies (30′)
Turnbull (55′, 63′)
Jennings (85′)
Walker (30′, 63′)
Apter (85′)
HT 1-0

Tranmere Rovers secured a 4-0 victory against league leaders Stockport County at Prenton Park on Saturday afternoon.

There was one change from the Tuesday evening lineup, as Brad Walker returned from injury, taking the place of Reece McAlear.

The match kicked off with Rovers displaying early enthusiasm. Rob Apter and Regan Hendry delivered early crosses from the right and left, but Stockport successfully cleared their lines each time.

A moment of flair came early in the game as Walker skillfully manoeuvred past his opponent in midfield, leading to a corner for Rovers. However, the visitors maintained a solid defensive stance.

As the first half unfolded, both teams maintained solid formations and presented a tactical challenge to their counterparts.

Around the half-hour mark, Connor Jennings had a shot blocked in the box, showcasing Tranmere’s persistent attacking efforts.

Taking advantage of a defensive mix-up caused by a probing free-kick from Walker, Rovers took the lead at the half-hour mark.

Tranmere came close to scoring a second goal when Harvey Saunders headed towards the goal from a free-kick by Hendry, highlighting their threat from set-piece situations.

Apter came tantalizingly close to scoring the second goal, unleashing a volley from the edge of the box that was skillfully saved by the diving Ben Hinchliffe. Despite the close call, Rovers maintained a narrow one-goal lead going into halftime.

Early in the second half, Luke McGee made an impressive save to keep the scores level, denying a close-range header from halftime substitute Will Collar.

Rovers swiftly countered three minutes later, with Hendry sliding the ball to Kieron Morris in ample space. However, Hinchliffe made a solid save, and Apter’s follow-up attempt went off target.

The second period started with both teams creating opportunities. Stockport had their chance moments later when Odin Bailey narrowly missed the target with a shot from the right side of the box.

On the 55th minute, Rovers extended their lead as Jordan Turnbull capitalised on a back-header from Stockport, resulting from another Walker free-kick. Turnbull skillfully knocked the ball home under the Kop.

Stockport reacted promptly, but Tanto Olaofe’s attempt from close range sailed over the bar.

Tranmere secured a third goal on the 63rd minute when Jordan Turnbull converted from a corner.

Saunders came close to making it four just three minutes later, forcing another diving save from Hinchliffe with a shot from the edge of the box.

Turnbull came close to completing a hat-trick on the 72nd minute, directing a headed effort towards a corner that narrowly sailed over the bar.

Stockport’s substitute, Paddy Madden, nearly narrowed the gap on the 77th minute, but his attempt from a corner was effectively blocked.

Rovers, however, respondedand created a goalmouth scramble, coming close to securing a fourth goal moments later.

Tranmere sealed the victory with a fourth goal four minutes before the final whistle. Apter set up Jennings, who confidently scored, sending the Super White Army into fits of jubilation and concluding an outstanding triumph.

Tranmere visit Forest Green Rovers on Saturday, 24 February, for their next game of the 2023/24 League Two season.

Match Highlights


Credit: Tony Coombes/TRFC

Fans’ X/Twitter Reaction

Post Match Interview


Tranmere Rovers – Formation 4-4-2
1 Luke McGee GK
2 Lee O’Connor DF
27 Connor Wood DF
5 Tom Davies (C) DF
6 Jordan Turnbull DF
4 Brad Walker MF
25 Robert Apter MF
8 Regan Hendry MF
7 Kieron Morris MF
19 Harvey Saunders FW
18 Connor Jennings FW

13 Joe Murphy SUB
26 James Norris SUB
21 Josef Yarney SUB
11 Josh Hawkes SUB
23 Reece McAlear SUB
14 Kristian Dennis SUB
12 Charlie Jolley SUB

Nigel Adkins

Match Officials
Alex Chilowicz
Assistants: Bradley Hall and Ollie Williams
Fourth official: Alex Gray

Stockport County – Formation 4-3-3
1 Ben Hinchliffe GK
32 Lewis Cass DF
23 Ethan Bristow DF
5 Neill Byrne DF
26 Rhys Bennett DF
10 Antoni Sarcevic MF
24 Connor Lemonheigh-Evans MF
18 Ryan Croasdale (C) MF
25 Isaac Olaofe FW
27 Odin Bailey FW
11 Nick Powell FW

12 Jordan Smith SUB
3 Ibou Touray SUB
14 Will Collar SUB
22 Rico Richards SUB
21 Myles Hippolyte SUB
9 Paddy Madden SUB
19 Kyle Wootton SUB

Dave Challinor

Attendance: 7882

League 2 season attendance

2023/24 Total home attendance110071
2023/24 Total away attendance87578
2023/24 Total H&A attendance197649
2023/24 Average home attendance6475
2023/24 Average away attendance5474
2023/24 Average H&A attendance5974

Why not follow on Facebook, Twitter, and Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to