A series of activities beginning next week will take place in Leasowe, bringing residents and local organisations together with the aim of improving the area.
The ‘Leasowe Great Giveback Week’, supported by Virgin Media with Wingnut Utilities, will bring together a host of partners who will join forces throughout the busy week to paint The Addy building and play equipment, landscape The Addy playground, level and resurface the allotments entrance area.
Partners including Wirral Council, Wirral Development Trust, Merseyside Police, Leasowe Rakers Junior Football Club, Leasowe Community Centre, Leasowe Play Scheme will engage with the community, bring people together and clean up the local area. Graffiti and rubbish will be removed and litter picks will take place all week, but there is lots more planned too.
Some of the activities taking place include:
Monday 26 July
• Leasowe Adventure Playground (The Addy building) is being painted by volunteers along with play equipment
• Clean up and plant up near Leasowe shops
• Litter pick at the Community Centre and across the estate
Tuesday 27 July
• Litter pick at the Addy
• Flower tubs being maintained by the shops
• Leasowe Adventure Playground (the Addy building) is being painted along with play equipment.
The Leasowe Allotments and The Addy have had significant landscaping undertaken (pictured) in the last two weeks by Virgin Media and Wingnut in preparation.
Friday 30 July – Community Giveback Celebration Day
• 11am – 3pm Fun Day with BBQ and live music
• Presentation from the Mayor of Wirral
• The Hive will bring music and singing
• Mounted police in attendance
• VM Ice cream van
• Tranmere Rovers Mascot
• The Rakers – Penalty Shoot Out competition
• Sports Development and youth outreach workers
• Free bike marking on the estate and will set up near to the shops on Twickenham Drive
• Mobile police station available to pop in for advice
• Litter pick with the Rakers
• Afternoon tea with cream scones
• Police recruitment
• Smoothie bike
• Fire service crash trailer
Mark Camborne, Wirral Council’s Assistant Director – Neighbourhoods, Community Safety and Transport said,
It is great to see partners and the community come together to improve their area like this. Leasowe is a great place with an active community, well done to everyone involved.”
Julian Holland, Regional Community Manager at Virgin Media, added,
Whether it’s through charity events, clean-ups or park makeovers, when bringing our ultrafast services to a new area, we’re always looking to see how we can do more to help support local communities.
We’re proud to be supporting the ‘Leasowe Great Giveback’ week which gives the local community a fantastic opportunity to make a difference in their local area at a time when community connectedness has never been more important.”