Wirral residents still have time to have their say on proposals to introduce 20mph speed limits in more areas of the borough.
A period of consultation with residents is underway on the first 15 ‘zones’ where the council wants to reduce speed limits in an effort to improve air quality and make roads on which people live, shop or study safer for everyone.
Over the next four years, a total of 54 zones will be consulted upon covering all residential areas across Wirral.
In March 2022 the Environment, Climate Emergency and Transport Committee agreed that funding – provided through the Liverpool City Region Sustainable Transport Settlement Combined Authority Transport Plan – would be invested to increase the number of 20mph speed limits across Wirral.
Residents can share their thoughts using the council’s ‘Have Your Say’ consultation website which provides information about the zones and how local people can provide feedback.
20mph speed limits have been in place in parts of Wirral for 10 years and have proven to be most effective in residential and shopping areas and around schools. Each of the zones has therefore been identified based on the type of area, as well as collision data.
The 15 zones being consulted on are:
- Zone 2:Wallasey Village Road, Martins Lane, Seabank Road, Coastal Drive
- Zone 22: New Chester Road, Bebington Road, Spital Road, Croft Avenue East
- Zone 49: River Dee, Telegraph Road, Golf Course
- Zone 14: Borough Road, New Chester Road, Bedford Avenue, Kings Lane
- Zone 9: Conway Street, Canning Street, Chester Street, Park Road North
- Zone 23: New Chester Road, M53, Hooton Park, New Ferry Road
- Zone 25: Poulton Hall Road, M53, Hooton Park, River, New Ferry
- Zone 12: Claughton Road, Upton Road, Bidston Road, Storeton Road
- Zone 16: Bedford Avenue, Bebington Road, Old Chester Road, New Chester Road
- Zone 29: Talbot Road, Bidston Road, Upton Road, M53
- Zone 4: Breck Road, Docks Link, Wallasey Village, Bayswater Road
- Zone 7: Gorsey Lane, Dock Road, Poulton Road, Birkenhead Road
- Zone 28: Woodchurch Road, M53, Prenton Golf Course, Lever Causeway
- Zone 33: Fender Lane, Hoylake Road, M53, Leasowe Road, Pasture Road
- Zone 47: Lower Heswall, Telegraph Road, River Dee, Oldfield Drive