Six shouts in seven days for New Brighton RNLI

Volunteer crews at New Brighton RNLI have been put through their paces this last week, with no fewer than 6 shouts in 7 days.

On the evening of Tuesday 15 August, the pager sounded for the crew of New Brighton’s Atlantic-85 B-class lifeboat at around 7:30pm.

This was to reports of a male walking alone and at risk of being cut off by the tide on the North Bank, off Leasowe beach. The first informant, who is herself a volunteer with New Brighton RNLI, walked out to the casualty with her father, also a volunteer with the RNLI, to warn him of the dangers and escort him to the safety of the centre of the bank.

Whilst en route, they were able to divert a second group of walkers to safety just in time. The lifeboat crew recovered all three from the bank and returned them to safety.

This was the beginning of a busy week for New Brighton’s volunteer crew.

Whilst still on call, crews were tasked by the Coastguard to a second incident in the Seacombe area. After a short search, the Coastguard were satisfied that all were safe and the lifeboat returned to station once more.

The following day, Wednesday 16 August, the pager sounded once again for New Brighton RNLI, at around 8pm, though they were stood down by the Coastguard as they reached the waterline as the casualties had reached safety.

On the following afternoon, Thursday 17 August, the familiar sound of the pager arrived at around 2pm, calling the crew to save lives at sea once again.

This time to reports of a lone, pregnant casualty who had drifted out to sea on a small inflatable. After a quick and efficient launch, both the casualty and the inflatable were recovered with no injuries.

There were a few days respite for the volunteer crew over the weekend, before another tasking at around 7pm on Tuesday 22 August to reports of a man wading out into the waters off Crosby, near to the mouth of the River Alt.

The casualty turned out to be a local fisherman, and crews from New Brighton and Hoylake RNLI, who were both in attendance, were satisfied that there was no danger present.

Later that same evening the pagers would sound for the final time in this busy week, at 10:15pm. Tasked by the Coastguard to carry out brief searches in the Crosby area, all assets in attendance, from the Coastguard and Marine Fire service, were satisfied that the casualties were safe.

Helm Mike Stannard said, “We know that August is a busy time, with lots of people heading to the coast to make the most of holidays and the better weather. This busy period just shows the importance of vigilance around the water, and how crucial it is to always visit a lifeguarded beach.”

Remember, if you see someone in trouble on the water, call 999 and ask for the Coastguard. Our volunteer crews are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, to head out and save lives at sea.

Image: New Brighton RNLI’s Atlantic-85 lifeboat out on the river. Credit: RNLI/Connor Wray

Why not follow on Facebook, Twitter, and Threads? You can also send story ideas to

Share this

Subscribe to our FREE newsletter

Facebook comments

Latest news