Second arrest following Wirral arson attacks

A second man has been arrested following arsons in Tranmere and Higher Bebington last week.

Just before 10.40pm on Thursday, 23 November, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) and Merseyside Police officers were called to a home on Tower Hill to reports of a petrol bomb being thrown at the address and gutters being set on fire. The flames extinguished before the arrival of MFRS.

No injuries were caused during the incident.

The following morning, just after midnight, emergency services were also called to a home on Rosalind Avenue in Bebington, where a second petrol bomb was thrown at an address.

CCTV footage from the area showed that a man was potentially injured during the incident.

On Wednesday, 29 November, a 29-year-old man from Liverpool was arrested on suspicion of arson offences.

On Tuesday, 28 November, a 25-year-old man from Tranmere was also arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger to life. Both men have been questioned by officers at a police station in Merseyside and bailed with conditions.

Detective Chief Inspector Matt Caton said, “Merseyside Police proactively responds to any incidents involving serious organised crime and is working to make Merseyside a safer place to live and work.

“I hope these arrests reassures the residents in these areas and shows what measures we will take to disrupt serious organised crime and anyone who endangers lives in their community.

“Our investigation into these arsons is still ongoing in Wirral. If you have any other information about these crimes or saw the offences take place and have not yet spoken to our officers, please call us as soon as possible.”

Call 101 or contact the social media desk on X @MerPolCC or Facebook at ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre’.

You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 with reference 23001180657.


Why not follow on Facebook, Twitter, and Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to