School defends response to child being assaulted

A headteacher has defended the response to a 12-year-old boy being assaulted at school.

Emergency services were called to Dixons Croxteth Academy at 1pm on Monday, 11 March, after reports of an assault on the school’s playing fields. The 12-year-old reportedly suffered neck injuries in the attack.

Writing to parents, Iain Duggan, principal at Dixons Croxteth, said the safety and wellbeing of students remained the school’s “utmost priorities”.

Neighbours reported seeing large numbers of police vehicles near the school on Carr Lane East on Monday afternoon, including a forensics van. It is understood the boy’s injuries were not serious.

In his letter issued to families, Mr Duggan said the school remained open for pupils in the aftermath of the disturbing scenes and praised staff for their response. He said, “We understand that many of you may have concerns regarding the incident at our academy.

“We want to assure you that the safety and well-being of our students are our utmost priorities. Please rest assured that we are working closely with the relevant authorities to address this matter.

“The academy is fully open with lessons continuing as normal.

“Due to the ongoing investigation, we are unable to provide specific details. This is in line with our commitment to safeguarding and ensuring the integrity of the investigative process.

“We want to emphasise that all appropriate procedures have been followed diligently.

“The response of our staff and students has been nothing short of exemplary. Our dedicated team acted promptly and efficiently, and we are immensely grateful for the support and co-operation we have witnessed within the school community.

“If you have any concerns or questions, we encourage you to reach out. We will do our best to provide updates as soon as it is appropriate to do so.”

A statement from Merseyside Police said, “We can confirm that we received a report of an assault at Dixons Croxteth Academy earlier today, Monday 11 March.

“It was reported at around 1pm that a 12-year-old boy had been assaulted by two other pupils on a grassed area outside a school building on Carr Lane East.

“Emergency services attended and the boy has been taken to hospital for treatment to a neck injury and enquiries are ongoing into the incident. If you have any information, you can call 101 or DM @MerPolCC quoting log number 452 of 11th March.”

Image: GOOGLE

Why not follow birkenhead.news on Facebook, Twitter, and Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to news@birkenhead.news