Match Report – Hockey – St. Helens 1s 2, Birkenhead 1s 4

1s Match Report. St. Helens 1s 2, Birkenhead 1s 4

This week, Birkenhead 1s travelled to St. Helens for a game against their 1s team. The team travelled a bit lighter than usual with only having 10 players.

The game started off and St. Helens were pressing their man advantage from the off. Birkenhead in typical fashion soaked it up and struck on the counter.

First blood was drawn within the opening 10 minutes. A short corner was won and up stepped Dan Brennan to power in a short. St. Helens were shocked and couldn’t believe it.

Adam Kohler picked the ball up in midfield and took it out wide past their whole team and passed it off to Dan Brennan for his 2nd.

At this point the Birkenhead team was jubilant. Matthew O’Brien had been playing well and distributing the ball well. However, he picked up a nasty ankle injury.

St Helens were piling on the pressure on but Jared Dunbar, Edd Thomas, and Ronan were magnificent and just tackled everyone that came near them.

From a 16, Harry smashed the ball up to Danny who controlled it well and slipped in Liam Brennan who slotted it into the corner. The scream from Brennan would have put the cast of braveheart to shame.

Another short corner was won and again a power drag from Danny made it 4-0 to the visitors. The St. Helens team’s determination and constant pressure paid off and with seconds remaining before halftime, they pulled one back, leaving the score at 4-1 at halftime.

The second half started and it was clear that St. Helens meant business. They came out hard from the restart but the Birkenhead boys held resolute. It was very much counter-attacking hockey this half. With a returning man, Karl Hughes, taking full advantage of the space St. Helens were leaving in the back.

Karl Hughes just kept knocking it forward and running. He made some good opportunities from these and unfortunately, they just couldn’t be converted.

The pressure was mounting on Birkenhead and St. Helens got a short which was well finished past Gary Mckay in goal with about 15 minutes to go. Despite a few more Birkenhead chances, the full-time result was a loss for the hosts: Birkenhead 1s 4, St. Helens 1s 2.

Man of the Match was Ronnan who was fantastic in defence and going forward.

Next week is a home game for Birkenhead 1s when they host West Derby.

2s Match Report. Birkenhead 2s 1, Sefton 3s 2

The weather held off as Birkenhead 2s looked to push on from last week’s excellent win over local rivals Bebington. They started brightly however Sefton were organised, robust, knew how to press and keep the ball and they did so with gusto.

Birkenhead managed to hold their own for the most part and Sefton were restricted in their chances however late in the half with a driving run to the line and swift passing, Sefton took the lead.

Sefton pressed hard again. However, a blinding save from goalie Sam Mcculloch at his near post prevented a second. 1-0 Half Time.

Birkenhead looked to cut Sefton’s options out down the right side in the second half. With some great work in the middle from Ollie Jones and Sam Jones and new boy Adam Newall making a nuisance of himself across the pitch, Sefton were restricted to attempting to come through the middle were they were met with the likes of Bobby Dee and rock Mike Kirkham at the rear.

For all their efforts, Sefton couldn’t break through and their frustrations led to chances for Birkenhead. Eventually, young Newell got onto a rebound from a Kev Hudson shot, deftly turned the keeper and put the ball in on his reverse. A nice finish. 1-1.

Sefton galvanised themselves and pressed hard, getting a lucky bounce, a deflection, and fluked a second goal with five minutes to go. There was excellent play from young lads Dan Owen, Cameron Haslam and young William Dellius made his dad proud on his debut, providing some great holding play and passing on the wing.