Man jailed for assaulting police officers in Kirkby

A man has today (Wednesday 27 July) been jailed for assaulting two police officers following an incident in Kirkby earlier this year.

Stephen Spencer, 44 years, of Northwood, Kirkby, appeared at Liverpool Crown Court in a trial by judge for a Section 20 offence of grievous bodily harm against an emergency worker and assaulting an emergency worker.

Spencer was convicted of both offences and sentenced today to two years and seven months in prison.

On 10 April, police received a report of a domestic incident on Greenbank Drive in the Field Lane estate.

Patrols attended and asked the suspect to leave the address to prevent a breach of the peace. He left however returned to the property and assaulted two police officers.

Speaking after the sentence Detective Inspector Yoseph Al-Ramadhan said, “We are pleased to see that Stephen Spencer has been dealt with by the courts for his unprovoked assault on two police officers.

“We would like to thank members of the public who came to the officers assistance and rang 999 for more officers.

“Our officers and staff put their own lives and personal safety on the line every day in order to keep us all safe but they should never have to tolerate or accept physical violence when carrying out their duties.

“I’m sure the vast majority of law-abiding members of the public would agree that assaults on police officers or other emergency workers are totally unacceptable.

“Not only do they have a massive impact on the officers themselves but also on their families and work colleagues and, as with all acts of violence, we will fully investigate and prosecute offenders where appropriate.

“My message to those who carry out violence against police is this: please remember, one day you or your families may need our help too.”

Image: Merseyside Police

Why not follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter? You can also send story ideas to

Share this

Subscribe to our FREE newsletter

Facebook comments

Latest news