Man detained under mental health act following machete attacks in Anfield

A 33-year-old man has been detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act following an incident in Anfield yesterday, Thursday 11 August.

Police were called at 5.35pm to Arkles Lane to a report of a man walking towards the junction with Priory Road and onto Ince Avenue, shouting at people and carrying what was described as a machete.

It was reported he assaulted a number of people, causing some slash wounds. All the victims attended hospital. None are believed to have sustained life-threatening injuries.

  • A 48-year-old man suffered injuries to his head, arms and hands
  • A 20-year-old man suffered injuries to his arms
  • A 62-year-old woman suffered lacerations to her face, neck, body and arms
  • A 40-year-old man suffered lacerations to his back and arm

The woman remains in hospital.

The suspect was detained a short time later in Stanley Park and arrested on suspicion of four counts of attempted murder.

He has been technically released under investigation to allow further enquiries to be carried out but further detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act.

Detective Inspector Neil Dillon said, “Our investigation is ongoing.

“While we understand how worrying incidents like this are we don’t believe that it was terror-related and a man is currently detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act as we continue with the investigation.

“I would ask for anyone who was in the area of Priory Road or Ince Avenue yesterday who saw or heard anything and hasn’t already spoken to police to come forward as a matter of urgency.”

Deputy Chief Constable Ian Critchley said, “I would like to take this opportunity to thank members of the public who bravely intervened despite the obvious dangers that they were facing and also managed to quickly alert others to the situation that was unravelling.

“I believe it is thanks to their quick thinking and brave actions that this incident was able to be dealt with swiftly and without further injury. We are supporting all those victims and their families who have been injured and impacted on during this distressing incident for all the local community.

“Our specialist officers were deployed and were able to detain the male promptly and bring the situation under control. They have to face dangers every day and their actions during this incident further demonstrates their dedication and personal commitment to protect members of the public.”

“I am very proud of the public and our Merseyside Police colleagues in how they resolved quickly this very difficult, violent and challenging circumstances they were presented with.”

Anyone with information is asked to DM @MerPolCC or @CrimestoppersUK on 0800 555 111 quoting reference 22000587067.


Why not follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter? You can also send story ideas to

Share this

Subscribe to our FREE newsletter

Facebook comments

Latest news