Drivers in Merseyside are advised the M53 between junctions 5 (Hooton) and 4 (Clatterbridge) is expected to remain closed into the evening following a serious incident.
The road remains closed in both directions after a coach overturned shortly after 8am this morning, with police declaring a major incident.
National Highways traffic officers remain on scene, aiding with traffic management. Once complex investigation work has been completed, recovery of the coach and clear-up work can begin.
Northbound diverted traffic is advised to follow the solid circle diversion symbol:
• Exit the M53 northbound at junction 5
• At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto the A41 southbound (New Chester Road)
• At the B5133 junction, turn right onto the B5133 westbound (Hooton Road)
• At the junction with the B5151, turn right and join the B5151 northbound (Birkenhead Road)
• Continue to then re-join the M53 at junction 4
Southbound traffic is advised to follow the hollow diamond diversion symbol:
• Exit the M53 southbound at junction 4
• Take the 3rd exit at the roundabout onto the B5151 southbound (Mount Road)
• At the junction with the B5133, turn left onto the B5133 eastbound (Neston Road)
• Continue onward and then at the junction with the A41, turn right and join the A41 New Chester Road northbound
• Continue to then re-join the M53 southbound at junction 5
Drivers are advised to allow extra journey time, find alternative routes or delay their journey if at all possible.
Updates are shared on the X (Twitter) feed, @HighwaysNWEST
Further information is available from National Highways by visiting www.trafficengland.com and travel apps, or via the regional Twitter/X feed.
The 24/7 contact centre team is also available to provide up-to-the-minute information on 0300 123 5000.