Lairds victories place them in two semi finals

Last Wednesday Lairds entertained high flying Wythenshawe Amateurs in the Macron Cup 3rd round and came from 0-2 down to clinch a 3-2 victory in the final minutes.

Slack marking enabled Wythenshawe to open the scoring within five minutes and a defensive error after 20 minutes saw the visitors increase their lead, but Lairds fought back and gained a penalty in the 40th minute that striker Jay Harvey dispatched with ease.

Minutes later the visitors were reduced to 10 men following an elbow incident and the score stayed 1-2 at the interval.

The second half saw Lairds coming back into the game with some good football, but were helped when a second visiting player received a red card for a lunging tackle and they took full advantage as Kieran Hamm levelled the scores in the 82nd minute with a fine finish.

With the game looking to go to a penalty shoot-out, Jay Harvey broke free to beat the chasing defence and lob home the late winner on 86 minutes for a deserved victory against a very physical team.

Saturday then saw Lairds take on Barnton in the quarter-final of the competition which was a dour affair with neither team producing enough flair throughout. That was until Cameron McGregor produced some real skill to net the only goal of the game in the 82nd minute to set up a semi-final date with Premier Division team Congleton Town, who they will play on Tuesday 10 May for a 7.45pm kick off at home.

Today (Monday 2nd May) Lairds travelled to Wythenshawe Amateurs in the quarter-final of the First Division Cup and again started sluggishly as the home team raced into a 2-0 lead inside the 12 minutes thanks to poor marking and defensive errors.

Yet again Lairds came back into the game and created some excellent chances to level matters before the break, but had to be thankful to striker Jay Harvey who burst through in the 41st minute to rifle home a superb goal to reduce the arrears and leave the score at 2-1 at the break.

A resurgent Lairds took the game to the home side throughout the second period and were rewarded when Jay Harvey blasted home a penalty following a trip in the home area to set up a brilliant fightback in the remaining minutes.

Chances went begging and a shoot out again looked on the cards until Jay Harvey completed his hat-trick with a brilliantly taken angled drive after 85 minutes.

Then Kieran Frost outpaced the tiring home defence to rifle home a superb shot in added time to complete an excellent comeback in a battling performance that left the home fans stunned and travelling Lairds fans absolutely ecstatic at the brilliant 4-2 success.

Lairds will now entertain Ilkley Town from the First Division North on Saturday 7 May for a 3pm kick off.

Image: Chaos Soccer Gear

Why not follow on Facebook and Twitter? You can also send story ideas to

Share this

Subscribe to our FREE newsletter

Facebook comments

Latest news