Lairds stage thrilling comeback to secure 4-1 victory

Despite yet another quick turnaround in fixtures, Lairds entertained table-topping Market Drayton Town and put on a superb second half display to take the points in a brilliant 4-1 victory.

Before Lairds got started Town opened the scoring in the 5th minute due to slack marking allowing Jacob Welch to put the visitors ahead.

The game then ebbed and flowed as Laird’s midfield of captain Ryan Smith, James Eaton, and Mike Speed applied pressure on Towns backline, but neither side took the created chances and the visitors went into the break with a 1-0 lead.

Second half action saw Lairds pressing for an equaliser but this did not come until the 74th minute when Mike Speed scored at the back post with a fine header and with Dom Hoppe, Jimmy Ludbrook, and Ben Graham providing a solid defence they continued to press for another goal and that came in the 82nd minute thanks to Richard Ley netting another headed goal to give Lairds the lead.

They were now in full flow with the visitors looking shaken, and six minutes later Dom Hoppe made it 3-1 with a close finish, before Jay Harvey completed the excellent comeback by lofting a great goal over the head of the advancing keeper to the joy of the home crowd.

Lairds in fact could have increased their scoring in added time but a 4-1 success was well deserved and they stay in the top five before taking on second-placed Stockport Town on Saturday 2nd September at home with a 3pm kick off.

FA Vase

Cammell Laird 1907 FC entertained Burscough from the North West Counties Premier Division in the Isuzu FA Vase 1st qualifying round and certainly pushed the visitors all the way as they closed the gap between the divisions.

The opening 25 minutes saw Lairds well in command with some excellent football and were unlucky not to take the lead when James Eaton hit the bar with a thunderous free kick from 20+ yards and they kept their visitors at bay with solid defending from Jimmy Ludbrook and Dom Hoppe.

But just before the break, Burscough caught the defence back peddling and with their only chance of the half opened the scoring to take a lead of 1-0 into the break.

The second half was more even, but chances were not converted and the cup tie went to a penalty shoot-out, which saw Lairds miss three of their four spot-kicks and the visitors progressed with a 3-1 verdict, but should be thankful due to Lairds closing the gap on their higher grade opponents.

Why not follow on Facebook, Twitter, and Threads? You can also send story ideas to