Lairds stage thrilling comeback for a 3-3 draw against Alsager Town

Cammell Laird 1907 FC travelled away to Alsager Town and produced a great fight back despite being the better team for most of the game.

A goal after only six minutes put Lairds ahead as James Eaton fired home a great free kick from about 20 yards, but defensive errors allowed Alsager to level matters nine minutes later as Kallum Boyle scored unmarked.

Lairds still looked the better side until a shot from Sean Tierney was deflected over the stranded Casey Shakeshaft to put the home team ahead in the 28th minute and they held the 2-1 lead until the break.

Lairds began the second half on the front foot and looked threatening without taking chances and Alsager punished yet another defensive error in the 65 minute to go 3-1 ahead thanks to Tom Hassall.

This only prompted Lairds to exert more pressure and they fought back but had to wait until the 81st minute when a Jay Harvey goal reduced the deficit and in the dying minutes Matty Beaman levelled matters in the 90th minute with a great goal, but despite finishing the game well on top and creating chances, they could not find the deserved winner and had to settle for a 3-3 draw.

The next game is home on Tuesday versus Winsford United with a 7.45pm kick off.

The newly formed Cammell Laird 1907 FC reserve team opened their West Cheshire League division three account at home to Great Sutton FC last night and recorded an excellent victory, although the visitors made it hard for them in the first half.

Creating chances was no problem for Lairds, but poor execution yielded no goals and the visitors showed the way with an excellent goal on the half hour mark to take 1-0 lead into the break.

The pep talk at half time certainly did the trick as Lairds dominated the second period and but for the visiting keeper would have netted many more goals.

Even so, once Ben Crossley had levelled matters on 60 minutes and then added a quick-fire second, he then claimed a hat-trick goal on 80 minutes to put Lairds well on their way to victory. Their fourth goal was a cracker from outside the box as Kieron Hughes rifled home a great goal to complete a 4-1 success for manager John Leasor.

Lairds now travel away to Groves Athletic on Monday for a 6.30pm kick off.

Why not follow on Facebook, Twitter, and Threads? You can also send story ideas to

Share this

Subscribe to our FREE newsletter

Facebook comments

Latest news