Lairds break barren run with outstanding display against Sandbach Utd

Cammell Laird 1907 FC ended their barren run with a superb battling display in the North West Counties First Division South when entertaining play-off hopefuls Sandbach United.

The fixture saw a magnificent performance by their back four of Ludbroook, Drummond, Graham, and Beaman as they put in man-of-the-match displays.

Considering the recent wet weather, the pitch was made playable thanks to hard work by groundsman John King, and the opening exchanges were even, despite Lairds having the better opportunities to break the deadlock with efforts from Hamm and Eaton just failing to find the target.

Keeper Casey Shakeshaft had little work to do in the first half due to his excellent defence and wayward efforts from the visitors forwards and so the score line remained goalless at the break.

A bright start to the second period saw Lairds forcing the issue but they had to wait until the 53rd minute to take the lead as Jamie Eaton despatched a superb free kick home from 20 yards for a great goal.

Alas, within five minutes Lairds were reduced to ten men with a dismissal due to an over zealous challenge, but the retaliating keeper Seb Jensen was lucky not to receive the same punishment when raising his hands following the incident.

However, the work rate of the Lairds players was exceptional as they reduced Sandbach to long range efforts that were high and wide of the target and with the introduction of fresh legs caused the visitors enough problems to maintain their 1-0 lead and take the points in a well deserved victory.

Weather permitting Lairds will play Mersey Royal at the KRCT Stadium on Tuesday evening in the Wirral DFA Senior Cup semi-final with a 7pm kick off and then play away on Saturday 24 versus Stockport Georgians with a 3-00 pm kick off.

The below-strength Lairds Reserves travelled away to play Runcorn Sports Reserves but fought a great game as Luke Watkins put in a man-of-the-match performance to help secure an excellent 3-2 victory that puts them top of the West Cheshire League third division by two points and with two games in hand.

A brace of goals from Kieran Hughes and a single from Dale Atherton helped them to come from 2-1 down in a fantastic game, as they scored the winner in the final minute to take the spoils.

Their form from the first day of the season has been exceptional and the management team of John Leasor, Danny Wilson, and Gary Hewitt are now looking to seal two cup final dates following semi finals dates versus West Kirby Reserves on both occasions.

Why not follow Birkenhead News on Facebook, X/Twitter, and Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to