Kids fall ill after eating sweets laced with cannabis in Wallasey

Merseyside Police is urging parents, guardians and young people to be vigilant after two children required hospital treatment after eating sweets suspected to contain cannabis.

It was reported just before 1.10pm today (Friday 2 July) that two 13-year-old schoolboys in Wallasey had eaten the sweets and fallen ill, while two others had tasted them. 

The two children taken to hospital remain there under observation and the remaining sweets have been seized by officers. 

Detective Sergeant Nick Glascott-Tull said: “We’re pleased to have removed these drugs from the community, and will continue to investigate this and similar incidents.

“Worryingly, these drugs are clearly designed to appeal to younger people. We are asking that all parents and carers are vigilant if coming across them, and ensure they don’t not get into the hands of children as they could be mistaken for ordinary sweets. 

“While we believe these sweets contain cannabis, there is no way for people to be sure what other chemicals or drugs could be contained in a product being sold illegally, which could lead to side effects, serious illness or worse. 

“If you see drugs similar to those pictured, or have any information, come forward and we will do the rest.” 

If you have information about suspected storage or supply of drugs, please contact us via our social media desk via Twitter @MerPolCC or Facebook ‘Merseyside Police Contact Centre’. You can also pass information anonymously via the independent charity @CrimestoppersUK anonymously on 0800 555 111, or via their website here:

Tap or click the button to like us on Facebook

Tap or click the button to follow us on Twitter
Have you got a Wirral story? Email

Facebook Comments