A former Merseyside Police officer has today, Friday 27 October, been sentenced to four years after being found guilty of misconduct in a public office and computer misuse offences.
Former Constable 4626 Hoyle, aged 40, who has resigned from the force, was formally dismissed yesterday (Thursday 26 October) for gross misconduct after he was found to have breached the standards of professional behaviour, namely discreditable conduct, after commencing a relationship with two victims of crime and engaging in sexual conduct with them while he was on duty.
Following a referral in November 2019, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) managed three independent investigations by Merseyside Police into allegations relating to former PC Hoyle’s contact with women he met in the course of his duties.
He was found guilty of misconduct in public office (MIPO) and computer misuse offences following a trial at Liverpool Crown Court last month.
It was alleged that by having sex with two women while on duty – matters that had already been heard and found to be true during the criminal process – former PC Hoyle had breached the police standards of professional behaviour with regard to discreditable conduct.
Following yesterday’s misconduct hearing it was determined if he had still been serving he would have been dismissed without notice.
He has also been placed on the College of Policing Barred Register.
Today he was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court to four years.
Temporary Detective Chief Superintendent Mark Baker, head of Merseyside Police’s Professional Standards Department, said, “We acknowledge today’s sentencing of former Constable Hoyle.
“His behaviour, in repeatedly abusing his position of trust with victims of crimes, was deplorable.
“It is right that as a force we identify anyone who thinks it is acceptable to behave in such a manner and do everything within our powers to remove them.
“Our officers and staff work hard every day to build the trust of our communities so it is vital that they see the robust stance that we will take.
“Our hard work, alongside partners including local authorities, support agencies and the third sector, to protect women and girls who are faced with violence and sexual abuse, remains ongoing.
“Only by taking positive action by our relentless pursuit of perpetrators, support of victims and the establishment of safer spaces will we instil confidence in the people we serve.
“I hope that people will take some reassurance from the fact that this officer has been identified and held accountable for his actions.”
IOPC Regional Director Catherine Bates said: “Former PC Hoyle’s disgraceful behaviour has absolutely no place in policing and he has now been held accountable for his vile actions.
“I am incredibly grateful to the women who came forward and assisted our inquiries. Allegations such as these are taken very seriously by the IOPC, police forces and the criminal justice system – as this case shows.
“It is thanks to the bravery of those who shared their experiences that this predatory offender’s policing career is over and he now has a criminal record.”