Merseyside Police arrested nine and seized drugs and weapons during a day of action in Woodchurch yesterday, Thursday 26 May.
The community policing team and Matrix officers carried out the proactive policing operation, Operation Presley, to disrupt criminality and protect those living in the area.
Throughout the day and evening police patrolled the estate, focussing on proactively targeting criminals.
A number of stop searches were carried out which led to arrests, and roadside operations were conducted with a white Mercedes car and a motorbike seized, and fines issued for motoring offences. Open land searches took place around the area.
The day’s activities resulted in nine people being arrested on suspicion of offences including possession of controlled drugs, possession of a weapon, and assault of an emergency worker. Among those arrested were:
- A 16-year-old male (who cannot be named) from Prenton was arrested and charged with being in possession of a bladed article in a public place. He appeared at Merseyside Youth Bail Court yesterday (Thursday 26 May) and has been bailed
- A man was found in possession of a large quantity of cannabis and cash, and officers searched his flat and recovered a suspected stolen electric bike. A 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply Class B drugs (cannabis) and on suspicion of theft. He has been released pending further enquiries
- A 17-year-old male was arrested on suspicion of possession of cannabis, obstructing police and assaulting an emergency worker. He has been released under investigation
- A 16-year-old male from Woodchurch was arrested on suspicion of possession of controlled drug (cannabis). He will attend a voluntary interview
- Officers stopped and searched a vehicle on Upton Road where the driver was found to be in possession of cannabis. A further search of his home was carried out where a large quantity of cocaine, drug paraphernalia, and £4,000 in cash was found. A 28-year-old man and 19-year-old woman from Woodchurch were arrested on suspicion of intent to supply Class A drug (cocaine) and Class B drug (cannabis). Both suspects have been released under investigation
- A man was stop searched and several small wraps of brown powder believed to be heroin were recovered. A further search of his home found more drugs and drug paraphernalia. A 52-year-old man from Woodchurch was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a Class A drug (heroin) and possession of a controlled Class A drug (heroin). He remains in police custody for further questioning
- A 25-year-old man from Woodchurch was arrested on suspicion of drug driving and has been released pending further enquiries
- A 25-year-old man from Bebington was arrested on suspicion of possession of a controlled drug (cannabis) and has been given a community resolution order
Alan McKeon, Community Policing Inspector for Wirral, said, “Yesterday’s enforcement operation illustrates that Merseyside Police will proactively tackle issues that matter most to residents on the Woodchurch estate and keep our streets safe.
“We had very positive results with a number of drug arrests and stolen vehicles recovered including an electric bike. In one instance there was a police pursuit and with the help of the National Police Air Service, we were able to recover the motorbike in Manchester.
“Officers chatted to locals and provided reassurance, and residents spoke about issues which mattered to them.
“Officers from across the force collaborated on this operation as part of ongoing efforts to target criminality and anti-social behaviour on the estate.
“If you have anti-social behaviour or criminality in your area let us know and we will take action.”
Anyone who has information about drug dealing in the community or knows where weapons are being stored or who is using them can contact police by sending a DM to @MerPolCC, calling 101 or contacting Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.