Chester and Wirral Football League round up, 20 January 2024

In the Queensferry Sport Premier Division, FC Farndon travelled to Shaftesbury and stormed into a 3- 0 half-time lead thanks to a double from Lee Parry and a single from Man of the Match Danny Mongan.

Shaftes gave themselves hope when Nathan Hickson netted early in the second half only for Lee Parry to secure his hat-trick to regain Farndon’s three-goal lead. But Shafts had other ideas and replied with efforts from Michael Williams, Alfie Naylor, and birthday boy, Laim Crawford as a thrilling encounter ended 4-4.

Hoole Rangers moved up to second as Connor Howley, Liam Edwards, and Victor Arongundade were all on target as they eclipsed Sutton Rangers 3-1.

Upton JFC won by the odd goal in five against Handbridge FC to stay second in the Olympic Trophies Championship. Keiye Williams netted a brace for Handbridge, but Upton went one better with Cae McGovern bagging a double and Harvey Andrews a single.

Neston Nomads Reserves peeled off seven goals without reply in their win against Orange Athletic. Doubles for both Archie Hughes and Lucas McKendry as well as singles for Joel Hall, Josh Roberts, and Jack Ratcliffe gave Neston the points.

Hoole Rovers had a two-goal hero in Tom Wynne-Jones whilst Andy McKibbon got a single as they defeated Sutton Rangers Reserves 3-1. Danny Lewis grabbed Sutton’s consolation goal.

Ellesmere Port Red Lions Vets and Neston Nomads Vets shared eight goals in a thrilling encounter as Paul Ellison netted a brace whilst singles from Sean McCone and Mike Ryan gave Neston a share of the spoils despite Red Lions leading 4-2.

Crossway Vets had Drew Thomas, Justin Osuji, and Wes Roberts on target in a 3-2 home victory against Rake & Pikel Vets in a result which sees Crossway move up to third.

In the CWFL Doug Johnson Vets second round, Upton JFC Vets gave Queens Vets an almighty scare as they came back to level matters three times as the game ended 4-4. Queens had Steve Abbot on target with a double as well as singles from Dotty Bolton and Andy Owens, whilst Upton’s goals came via a David Smith double and singles from Mike Bryant and Gary O’Reilly with Upton’s fourth goal coming with the last kick of the game.

This saw the game go to penalties and the drama did not let up as ten players from each team took penalties with Queens finally prevailing 7-6 to progress into the next round.

Lache Vets saw off a tough challenge from FC Fardon Vets, with striker Warren Kelly on target with a double and Tom Jones also netting to give Lache a 3-2 win.

On Friday night, Capenhurst Vets quality shone through as they eclipsed Eastham Vets 9-1, with Capes goals coming via a Mark Reed treble, doubles for both Mitchel Bailey and Matthew ConCannon and singles for both Robbie McDowell and Carl Nigham as Dave Sadler got Eastham’s consolation goal.

Parkfield Vets secured the last semi-final spot on Saturday as they despatched Hoole Vets 3-1 thanks to goals from Kevin Pink, Jimmy Brehenry, and Danny McDowell in a result which sees Parkfield drawn against big boys Hooton Vets.

In the other semi-final, Higher Bebington Kelma Vets will host Mersey Royal Vets with both games being played on Saturday, 2 March.

Image: Crossway Vets v Rake & Pikel Vets. Credit: Bryn Jackson