Tree planting will be open for residents to participate in starting later this month, with the first session scheduled for 27 January.
Wirral Council has an ambitious target to double Wirral’s tree canopy by 2030 to help limit the impacts of climate change, support biodiversity, and enhance the areas where we live.
With seven community planting days planned between January and March, residents can volunteer to help meet this target and help give back to our local environment.
Residents can plant a tree at any of the below events:
- Micro woodland planting at Upton Park on Saturday, 27 January
- Trees for Climate woodland planting at Eastham Country Park on Saturday, 3 February
- Micro woodland planting at Dibbinsdale Local Nature Reserve on Saturday, 10 February
- Hedgerow planting at Oxton Fields on Wednesday, 14 February
- Trees for Climate woodland planting at Oxton Fields on Saturday, 24 February
- Orchard planting at Kempson Terrace on Thursday, 29 February
- Orchard planting at Heygarth Road Greenspace on Saturday, 9 March
To get involved, volunteers can simply register their interest through the council’s website.
Cllr Liz Grey, Chair of the Environment, Climate Emergency and Transport Committee at Wirral Council, said, “The support that people have provided for planting events like this in previous years is phenomenal – we’ve had volunteers from community groups, schools, families and friendship groups – I hope that we continue to see as many faces for the planting events this season too.
“Whether you have been to a planting event before and are a seasoned pro, or it’s something that you are yet to try – why not use 2024 to plant trees and get the new year off to a climate-friendly start.”
Once planted, these sites will need to be looked after and maintained so the newly planted trees can thrive.
This is just one of the things that the network of Tree Wardens supports. If you have a passion for trees and would like to meet like-minded people in Wirral and help look after, plant and learn about trees, you can find out more about the network and sign up, by visiting the council’s website or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . The next induction to the network is on 13 January 2024.