Birkenhead Sunday Association Football League round-up, 3 September 2023

AFC Raeburn confirmed their place in round two of the David Keith Tacy Memorial Cup after winning 5-4 on penalties at Feeneys FC, when the two clubs were locked on 1-1 draw at 90 minutes.

Also claiming a spot in the next round is unbeaten Old Parks who ran out 6-0 winners over fellow Division two rivals Woodchurch Rovers after Daryl Hellon bagged a four goal salvo allied to Karlin Fleckner and Louis Haddock singles.

They will also be joined in the draw for round two by AFC Rangers who saw off the challenge of Victoria Colts 5-2 (Andy McBain Gaz Dickenson). On the scoresheet for AFC Rangers were Sam Burke, Chris Carress (2), Kieran Stockdale, and Peter Casey.

Only one point separates the top seven clubs, but the games of the day saw Great Float S&S sail to a 6-2 success over Wellington FC, having to come from a 0-2 deficit. Ellis Jones and Connor Kelly netted for Wellington, then Great Float replied through a four timer from Peter Morgan added to by singles from Frankie Ward and Josh Abbot to claim pole position in the Premier Division on goal difference.

Close on their heels are Rock Ferry Social who posted a 6-2 result at Corsair FC (Joe Molyneux) thanks to singles strikes from Henry Willet, Kie Hughes, Joe Emery, Mike Williams, Ben Wood, and Scott Connolly.

Queens Park have made a good start to the season with a second maximum points haul 3-1 after Charlie Holland hit a fabulous treble at Woodchurch Hotel.

Dock AFC are very similar with two wins out of two after posting a 4-1 scoreline over Neston Nomads (Sam Boydell).

Cam McGregor, Ben Wood, Zak Catesby, and Finley Williams all notching a single each and an Aaron Dixon strike was just enough for Cheshire Cup winners Lancelyn Glenavon to claim their first points of the season over division new boys Cheshire Cheese 1-0.

There were plenty of hair-raising moments in the Maxwell’s Barber Division One with Derby Jets and free-scoring Whitby Rangers sharing a tremendous 4-4 draw. Matty Vickers with a double and efforts from George Page and Mike Ellery finding the net.

Another fine game saw a point a piece for Upton Town (Tom Haynes, Morgan Woods, Tom Ward) and Prenton FC (Lloyd Winkle, Dylan Winkle, and Leo Jones) in another fairly high-scoring draw.

A solitary goal from Maxwell’s Barber’s Division One leaders Eastham Rangers Colts by Joel Whalley over Rig Move was enough to maintain a 100% record.

Clipper FC clipped AFC Shaftes 3-1 (Nathan Hickson). On the mark for Clipper FC were Ben Evans with a pair and single from Jay Hanson.

Unbeaten Bushell Athletic had to thank hat-trick hero Leon Jones and Stewart Jackson for their 4-1 win in Pensby over Heswall-based side Barcodes (Luke Millo).

Eagle Stirrup FC moved to the top of the Martin Gallier Project Division Two after confirming a 3-1 score at Oval FC. Stuart Davies was on hand with a brace and supplemented by a Carl Griffiths strike. Eagle Stirrup leapfrogged the top two clubs due to their involvement in one of the domestic cups and not being able to give them a fixture. Replying for Oval FC was A Broadbent.

Lions FC are having a resurgent season with a third maximum points haul. Calling the tune were Paul Ryan, with a smart double, coupled with a Mark Head effort to beat Wirral Radio Newton (Shane Neermul) by the same 3-1 scoreline.

Joe Levey with two was on hand with Travis O’Brien for one of the new clubs, Upton Willows, with a 3-0 away win at Barkers Armchair. Saughall FC managed to get a first win 1-0 at Poulton Victoria.

Not so long ago, Wirral Athletic were the basement team in Division Three and certainly turned things around in the past 18 months and have reached the summit of the Third Division after their latest conquest 4-0 over North Wirral Saints. Harry Huggins claimed a hat-trick and Joe Roberts was also the mark.

Another treble-scoring hero was Matt Murphy, coupled with a double from Tom, has taken West Kirby into second place after upstaging Higher Bebington Kelma, 5-2.

It was celebration time for Glenavon Athletic after securing a first league win for over 18 months. Paul Keenan (2) and Brad Selby were the marksmen 3-2 at AFC Tima.

Why not follow on Facebook, Twitterand Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to