Birkenhead Sunday Association Football League round-up, 17 September 2023

Lewis Simpson and Liam Atherton were among the goalscorers for Higher Bebington Kelma in the Tony Houlihan Memorial Challenge Cup first round with a 3-1 success at North Wirral Saints.

Despite a Ryan Thompson strike for Woodchurch Rovers, it was not quite enough as they dipped out to Feeneys 4-3 on penalties after the game finished all square at 1-1.

It was a good day in The Houlihan’s Birkenhead Sunday Association Football League Premier Division for the Ryan ‘Gigsy’ Atherton Trophy for Rock Ferry Social after they recorded a fine 3-0 win at champions Dock AFC. Netting for the ferry men were Ben Ryan, Mike Williams, and Kie Hughes.

Woodchurch Hotel dropped valuable points in a 2-2 draw with newly promoted Wellington FC, Charlie Macinnes hit a smart double for Woodchurch Hotel while Wellington replied via Ellis Jones and Lewis Willingham.

The only club now unbeaten in the Premier Division are the evergreen stalwarts Queens Park who for the second week shared the spoils 2-2 with a much improved KRCT Bidston who had Ben O’Neil hitting a fine brace. On the mark for Queens were Harvey Sample and Stuart Jones.

The clash between two Wallasey based clubs ended 0-0 as Great Float S&S drew with Cheshire Cheese.

Lancelyn Glenavon earned a second win of their league campaign, 3-2, over the unlucky Corsair FC. Connor Courtnell, Joe Downey, and Rob Whyte were on the mark for Lancelyn.

Last season’s Tony Houlihan Memorial Cup Finalists, Eastham Rangers Colts, maintained their perfect start to the season in The Maxwell’s Barber Division One. Jim Ludbrook lead the way with a pair, added to by singles from Joel Whalley and Dillon Thomas – 4-0 at Barcode FC.

Clipper FC kept in close touch with the leaders after a narrow 1-0 win over Derby Jets.

Matty Vickers helped himself to a hat-trick for Whitby Rangers after easing to a 5-0 win against highly fancied and inflicting a first league defeat on Bushell Athletic. Leo Young and Tom McDowell were also on hand for the south Wirral side.

It was a first maximum points haul of the season for Prenton FC (Luke (2), Dylan, Lewis Ward, Leo Jones) as they won 5-1 at luckless AFC Shaftes who replied with a consolation goal from Steven Roberts.

Due to a referee seminar, there was a shortage of match officials with The Marin Gallier Project Division Two hit the most, with two games affected. In the two matches that did take place, Upton Willows kept in touch with the division leaders after a 4-1 victory over Poulton Victoria S&S (Mark Tolcher).

Thanks to a brace from Matty Walsh and further strikes from Joe Levey and Travis O’Brien, Saughall FC got back to winning ways and called the tune 5-2 over Wirral Radio Newton (Matt Lydiate). Owen Kelsey was the hero for Saughall FC, hitting a tremendous treble supplemented by singles from Andy Noonan and Owen Wharton.

Just over two seasons ago, Wirral Athletic were languishing at the wrong end of the table. What a transformation they have made, as they are now in pole position in Division Three after a resounding 5-0 result at Glenavon Athletic. Making the scoresheet for Wirral Athletic were Jamie Payne with a double supported by efforts from Joe Roberts, Craig Mills, and Greg Beck.

Close on their heels by goal difference is Oxton Athletic who delayed their kick off by two hours until a match official was available. Oxton Celtic ran out winners 2-1 over AFC Raeburn (Tom Harrington).

Athletic VH accounted for AFC Tima (Chris Hunt, Ussamon Jalo) 5-2 to maintain a mid-table position.

Why not follow on Facebook, Twitterand Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to