Birkenhead Sunday Association Football League round-up, 14 January 2024

Woodchurch Hotel FC reached the semi-finals of the Wirral District Football Association Premier Cup with a fine 3-1 win at Corsair FC thanks to Ben Holmes, Tom Hayes, and Jack McGrotty. Replying for Corsair was Sam Saunders.

Woodchurch will be the favourites for the competition as they are the only Premier Division side in the last four. The other three clubs, Bushell Athletic, Eastham Rangers Colts, and Rig Move all come from the Maxwell’s Barber Division One.

After almost two months of trying, Upton Willows finally got their WDFA Sunday Amateur Cup round two played at Ridgewood Park. Upton Willows secured a quarter-final spot after a comfortable 4-0 success at hosts West Kirby Athletic. Joe Levy with a double and singles from Ellis Bolton and Kade Van Gefen delivered the important strikes for Upton.

Bushell Athletic moved into round three of the Tony Houlihan Memorial Cup taking their tie 6-5 on penalties after finishing all square at 2-2 with Wirral Radio Newton (Matt Lydiate 2).

A giant killing act in round three saw Division Three side, Feeneys, (Mark Rand, Brad Brady) take their tie on the penalty shootout over Maxwell’s Barber Division One outfit Derby Jets, after yet another 2-2 draw at 90 minutes.

Eagle Stirrup took the honours in a local derby clash with a tremendous win over Upton United to secure a place in round four.

It was the battle of the Rangers in the David Keith Tacy round two tie as Eastham Rangers Colts earned the decision via a solitary strike from Dan O’Halloran at Whitby Rangers. Both clubs are favourites to gain promotion to the elusive Premier Division.

There was more cup action as the Divisional Cups started. Rock Ferry Social booked their quarter-final place in The Veronica Conway Premier Cup with a high-scoring game hosting Cheshire Cheese (Lewis Gouldson (2), Anthony Evans). Rock Ferry ran out 5-3 winners with Mikey Williams, Ben Ryan, Kie Hughes, Harry Wood, and Callum Robinson all on the scoresheet.

Great Float S&S, who have been runners-up in their previous two campaigns in the competition, also secured a place in the last eight with a 2-1 home win over Neston Nomads (Dean Jones).

It was likewise for 2021/22 winners Dock AFC who were taken to a penalty shootout with Lancelyn Glenavon (Alfie McNicholas, Connor Courtnell) after finishing at 2-2 in normal regulatory time.

Prenton FC and Clipper FC (Will McGuffie (2), Kevin Oates) both progressed in the Frank Robinson President’s Cup with the same 3-2 result at hosts Barcode FC (Danny France, Jake Norton) and AFC Shaftes (Eddie Jebb, Bobby Evans) respectfully.

A brace each for Andy Noonan and Tom Ashcroft enabled Saughall FC to claim a place in the Quarter Finals of the Tony Smith Memorial Cup at the expense of Oval FC 4-0.

Also into the draw is AFC Rangers who eclipsed Barkers Armchair (Louis Rice) 3-1 with a strike from Lewis McKnight and a Kieran Stockdale double.

Woodchurch Rovers (Hayden Berry (2), David Harrison) went through inflicting a 3-2 result on Poulton Victoria S&S (Tom Price, Ryan Mason).

Wirral Athletic, who have improved in each of the past couple of seasons, registered a narrow 4-3 victory at AFC Tima in The Jimmy Core Memorial Trophy. Harry Huggins, Danny Allen (2), and Jamie Payne were on hand for Wirral Athletic, while Mark Redgrift and Jack Grimes (2) replied for the Tima boys.

Another cup tie that also went to the dreaded penalties saw Higher Bebington Kelma (Corey Wilson (2), Liam Atherton) take the honours 5-3 pens, after the score was level on 90 minutes with Victoria Colts (Kyle Sallis, Ryan Coles, Billy Harrison).

There was just the one game in the Premier Division, after all the cup ties in various competitions, saw Wellington FC (Nathan Cope) trade points and goals with KRCT Bidston FC (Dava Bowe) in a 1-1 draw.

Two of the fancied teams for promotion in The Martin Gallier Division Two saw Old Parks FC have the upper hand with Eastham Rangers easing to 3-0 success with goal-getters Jack Harrison, Jackson (net buster) Smith, and Cody Blackburn making the difference and jumped above in the table.

Oxton Celtic maintained an eight point gap at the top of Division Three, winning 4-3 at Glenavon Athletic, who responded through a Paul Keenan pair and Sean Hogan effort.

Henry Martyn and Matt Cleary plundered the goals for second placed West Kirby United 2-0 over Parkgate St Germain. North Wirral Saints (Ben Dunn (3), Aaron Cairns, Frazer Lucking) accounted for AFC Raeburn (Chris Hynes) 5-1

Why not follow Birkenhead News on Facebook, Twitterand Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to