Apter brace secures Tranmere victory over Newport

Tranmere visited Newport County on Saturday afternoon in their latest game of the League 2 season.

Match Report: Newport County v Tranmere Rovers

Newport County 1v2 Tranmere Rovers
Evans (20′)GoalsApter (25′, 36′)
Bright (20′)AssistsO’Connor (25′)
Saunders (36′)
HT 1-2

Tranmere Rovers secured a 2-1 victory against Newport County at Rodney Parade in their second-to-last away fixture of the season.

Rovers exerted early pressure on the hosts with a couple of corners, but Newport County gradually gained momentum after the opening ten minutes. Luke McGee made a crucial save from a long-range attempt by Bryn Morris as Rovers withstood the mounting pressure.

Rob Apter displayed his usual dynamism in the early stages, seeking to create opportunities, but Newport County’s defence held firm.

Harvey Saunders, buoyed by his recent two-year contract extension, tested Nick Townsend with a shot 20 minutes into the match, demonstrating his relentless pursuit of every opportunity.

Newport took the lead shortly after, with Will Evans nodding home from the centre of the goal following a cross from the right flank.

Tranmere quickly responded with an equaliser, as Rob Apter carved through the defence and unleashed a shot into the far corner.

With ten minutes remaining in the first half, James Norris surged down the left wing and delivered a cross to Harvey Saunders, whose header was gathered by Nick Townsend.

Moments later, Apter found himself in a similiar position to his first goal after receiving a through ball, and he confidently struck the ball into the net to give Tranmere the lead.

Tranmere maintained their relentless pressure and went into half-time with a well-deserved lead.

In the second half, Rovers continued to dominate, pushing their opponents onto the defensive and limiting their attacking opportunities. Midway through the period, Lee O’Connor made a crucial sliding block to deny substitute Kiban Rai’s shot.

Both teams had limited chances in the second half, but Luke McGee made an important save with his legs five minutes from time, denying Matt Baker’s strike from outside the box.

Sam Taylor made an impact off the bench, showcasing his energy by intercepting near the edge of the box in stoppage time. He then set up Dennis, whose shot was deflected behind.

In the end, Tranmere secured the victory.

Tranmere host Wimbledon on Saturday, 20 April, for their next game of the 2023/24 League Two season.

Match Highlights


Credit: Tony Coombes/TRFC

Fans’ X/Twitter Reaction


Post Match Interview


Newport County – Formation 5-3-2

1 Nick Townsend GK
14 Harrison Bright DF
7 Will Evans DF
23 Kyle Jameson DF
41 Nelson Sanca DF
28 Matthew Baker DF
8 Bryn Morris MF
9 Omar Bogle (C) MF
20 Harry Charsley MF
31 Luke Jephcott FW
30 Seb Palmer-Houlden FW

26 Jon Maxted SUB
35 Morgan Evans SUB
36 Corey Evans SUB
34 Jack Norris SUB
11 James Waite SUB
18 Kiban Rai SUB
10 Offrande Zanzala SUB

Graham Coughlan

Match Officials
Craig Hicks
Assistants: Samuel Fudge and Thomas Staten
Fourth official: Oliver Spender

Tranmere Rovers – Formation 4-3-3
1 Luke McGee GK
2 Lee O’Connor DF
26 James Norris DF
30 Jean Belehouan DF
15 Ben Hockenhull DF
16 Chris Merrie MF
18 Connor Jennings (C) MF
8 Regan Hendry MF
9 Luke Norris FW
25 Robert Apter FW
19 Harvey Saunders FW

13 Joe Murphy SUB
24 Dan Pike SUB
11 Josh Hawkes SUB
32 Ousmane Kané SUB
23 Reece McAlear SUB
14 Kristian Dennis SUB
20 Samuel Taylor SUB

Nigel Adkins

Attendance: 4549

League 2 season attendance

2023/24 Total home attendance138513
2023/24 Total away attendance138285
2023/24 Total H&A attendance276798
2023/24 Average home attendance6296
2023/24 Average away attendance6286
2023/24 Average H&A attendance6291

Why not follow birkenhead.news on Facebook, Twitter, and Threads? You can also send story ideas or letters to the editor to news@birkenhead.news