Appeal following sexual assault in Liverpool city centre

Detectives have issued an image of a man who may have information that could assist with their enquiries following a sexual assault in Liverpool city centre. 

At around 1.30am on Sunday 23 January, a woman was sitting on a set of steps at the junction of Rodney Street and Hardman Street when a man assaulted her. A passer-by came to her aid and she was able to escape the situation.

CCTV and witness enquiries are ongoing to identify the alleged offender, and detectives have issued an image of a man they believe could assist with their investigation. 

Detective Inspector Chris Saidi said, “We take reports of sexual assault very seriously, and we are very keen to speak with the person featured in the image to help with our enquiries.

“This was an extremely traumatic experience for the victim, and we are working hard to ensure that the person responsible is identified.

“We urge anyone who recognises the man featured in the image or has any information on the incident to please contact us.”

If you have any information please contact @MerPoLCC or anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 with reference 22000053544. 

Anyone who wants to report a sexual offence is asked to call 101 where you will be spoken to by specially trained.

Support for victims is also available through the registered charity the Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre Cheshire and Merseyside, who can be contacted on 01925 221 546 or 0330 363 0063 or Rape and Sexual Assault Merseyside (RASA) on 0151 558 1801.

For women who have felt or feel unsafe in public spaces the Home Office has set up a pilot service (StreetSafe | ( )  for anyone to anonymously report public places where they have felt or feel unsafe, because of environmental issues, eg street lighting, abandoned buildings or vandalism and/or because of some behaviours, eg being followed or verbally abused.

Please note: ‘StreetSafe’ is not for reporting crime or incidents.

If something has happened to you or someone you know (including in public spaces online) you can call the police on 101 or find out what online reporting services are available at StreetSafe | ( ).

Why not follow on Facebook and Twitter? You can also send story ideas to

Share this

Subscribe to our FREE newsletter

Facebook comments

Latest news