Anselmians dig deep away at Altrincham Kersal

It took Saints until the last play of the game to win this one. With a few changes to the side and the team held together with sticking plasters at the end, the visitors were made to fight all the way.

It was another good day for rugby, with a pitch holding up well for the time of year, Saints were met by a team that showed much more promise than the earlier fixture at Eastham.

The game started with Saints on the front foot and quickly looking to get on the score sheet with two lineouts within the home teams 22.

Unfortunately for Saints, AK had other ideas and their defence was up to the task. Saints were struggling to find any rhythm in the first half as both sides were evenly matched. AK’s lineout was as effective as anything Saints had played this season.

It wasn’t until the half-hour mark that a score was registered, Saints were adjudged to have made a tackle off the ball in their red zone, the ref brandished a yellow card to Saints Centre and AK kicked 3 points. HT 3-0.

Saints lost their 9 with an injury and had to make changes.

The second half began in a similar vein and for sure this one was going to the wire. AK increased their lead on 50 mins with a well-worked passage that saw their winger cross and a successful conversion attempt brought the score to 10-0.

The league leaders brought on the “Bomb Squad “ and Fred Clark made an instant impact looking to carry and hit the gain line.

On 62 minutes, following four minutes of sustained pressure in the AK 5 metre, Clark finally burrowed his way over. A successful conversion from Mat Brookes brought the score to 10-7.

As the clock was running down and the AK defence were holding strong the visiting support could be forgiven for thinking this was going to be one that got away.

Saints threw everything at the home team for the last 10 minutes and had a try disallowed as the ref adjudged the Saints player was held up over the line.

The Saints pack were determined and for the last two minutes of the match managed to keep possession of the ball and after a 5 metre attacking scrum the ball was kept tight and recycled three times before Derek Salisbury attacked the line from one metre out and came up with the winning try, successfully converted 10-14.

Congratulations to AK for being right in this game and pushing the league leaders all the way.

Next up for Saints are two home games against Winnington and then Birkenhead Park.

Image credit: Derek Salisbury Snr

2Birkenhead Park129033972381598246
3Firwood Waterloo129033942631318145
7Vale of Lune12507247347-1004024
8Altrincham Kersal12309255315-606422
9Douglas (I.O.M.)12309236364-1282216
10Winnington Park12309253430-1772115
12Broughton Park122010202396-1942212

Altrincham Kersal
15 Samuel Walsh
14 George Walker
13 Lewis Townsend
12 Ciaran Grieves
11 Christopher Owen
10 Callum John
9 Harrison Clough
1 Christopher Weighell
2 Paul Mallaband
3 Jack Gallimore
4 Christopher Roddy
5 Steven Perkins
6 Kieran Lalley
7 Dominic Hensman
8 Andrew Dauncey
Altrincham Kersal Subs
S1 Aaron Loftus
S2 Douglas Whyley
S3 Jamie Dalloway

15 Adam Bramhall
14 Joel Ashton
13 Ewan Nolan
12 Ransford Otutaha
11 Campbell Clayton
10 Matthew Brookes
9 George Manger
1 Kostja Vezanovs
2 Daniel Salisbury
3 Derek Salisbury
4 Niall Cavanagh
5 Jack Richards
6 Jack Sanders
7 Samuel Gregory
8 William Grabe
Anselmians Subs
S1 William Sass
S2 Robert O’Donnell
S3 Fred Clark

Why not follow on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter? You can also send story ideas to

Share this

Subscribe to our FREE newsletter

Facebook comments

Latest news