A trip to Liverpool in picture postcards

Exchange Flags

This postcard shows Exchange Flags as it appeared at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries – the Nelson Monument can be seen towards the right of the image.

The current buildings sit on the same site as two previous exchanges in Liverpool. Construction of the current exchange Flags began with the main building, which was completed in 1939. The construction of Walker House was interrupted by the war.

The inclusion of the reinforced bunker to house the command centre for the Battle of the Atlantic meant that Walker House wasn’t finished until 1941. The bunker was closed on 15 August 1945 after the end of the war but was re-opened as the Western Approaches Museum. Horton House was not completed until 1955 and is named after Admiral Sir Max Horton who was commander-in-chief of the Western Approaches during the war.