Community organisations across Wirral are being encouraged to collaborate and apply for up to £10,000 of funding to host monthly events for young people.
‘Wirral Youth Weekenders’ is a new initiative, part of the council’s enhanced offer of support for young people.
Funding will split across nine neighbourhoods in the borough to fund 10 monthly event weekends (approximately £1,000 per weekend).
The new scheme follows a consultation where more than 3,000 young people gave their views on how they wanted to shape the future of Wirral’s youth service. Providing access to facilities closer to home was key in the feedback from those young people who took part.
For the Weekenders project, community, faith and voluntary groups are encouraged to work together to provide creative and inclusive activities for young people aged 11+, on the last weekend of every month starting from September 2021. £10,000 is available per neighbourhood and groups are encouraged to submit a joint bid where possible.
Neighbourhood areas are:
- Birkenhead A (Bidston & St James, Claughton, Birkenhead & Tranmere)
- Birkenhead B (Prenton, Oxton, Rock Ferry)
- South Wirral A (Bebington)
- South Wirral B (Bromborough, Eastham)
- Wallasey A (Leasowe & Moreton East, Moreton West & Saughall Massie)
- Wallasey B (Wallasey, New Brighton)
- Wallasey C (Liscard, Seacombe)
- West Wirral A (Hoylake & Meols, Greasby, Frankby & Irby, West Kirby & Thurstaston)
- West Wirral B (Heswall, Pensby & Thingwall, Upton)
There are five core ‘must haves’ for applications for events, they must:
- Be inclusive
- Be fun
- Encourage social interaction
- Be collaborative
- Be creative
Activities need to take place across both Saturday and Sunday, starting from the last weekend of September 2021 and ending with the last weekend of June 2022.
The project is funded by Wirral Council and coordinated by the partner organisation Edsential.
Groups with creative ideas can apply online . The closing date for applications is Tuesday 27 July 2021.
Anyone with any questions or requests for additional support can contact firstname.lastname@example.org